<$BlogRSDURL$>

"It is true, and thus the question of whether it is sad or happy has no meaning whatever."
Bernhard Schlink



Science is best when discussed: leave your thoughts and ideas in the comments!!



Tuesday, December 28, 2004

Final Roll 

I'm all for making bad situations better for people, so I'm all for the FDA's new trial of Ecstasy for terminal cancer patients. The thing is, I can't help but think it's a mildly stupid thing to do. The article says that researchers hope that the drug will help patients talk to their families about death and other issues, and to enjoy their last few days. Fine. These would be good things. But! I've been around lots of people (far, far too many in fact) on X before, and lemmie tell you: they don't have meaningful conversations, and I certainly hope that no doctor would consider any treatment requests (i.e., turn off life support, etc.) from a patient taking Ecstasy. Plus, I would imagine that the hyperthermic effects of the drug might complicate therapies.


Comments: Post a Comment

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?