<$BlogRSDURL$>

"It is true, and thus the question of whether it is sad or happy has no meaning whatever."
Bernhard Schlink



Science is best when discussed: leave your thoughts and ideas in the comments!!



Thursday, May 05, 2005

Coming Around 

The story of fireman who recently recovered from a long period of catatonia (he was NOT in a coma or vegetative state like Terri Schiavo - which the BBC points out but CNN tellingly ignores) really resonates with me, and even moreso the Beeb's fascinating piece on others who've recovered from brain injury, as I have.

The key line, for me, was one woman saying that post injury, it was "like an alien landing on a planet without a map to show your way around. Or seeing the deep sea for the first time." That's almost exactly how I feel. I used to think that I had, in fact, totally gotten over it, and or at least that I would, but reading these it really hits home that there's a certain ease with oneself that you (or at least I) can't properly regain.

It's part of why I am so into neuroscience and psychology, and health in general. How our bodies manage to work at all, let alone recover from such things after so long, or hold on to them.

Comments: Post a Comment

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?