<$BlogRSDURL$>

"It is true, and thus the question of whether it is sad or happy has no meaning whatever."
Bernhard Schlink



Science is best when discussed: leave your thoughts and ideas in the comments!!



Wednesday, November 23, 2005

Bacterial Imaging 

I'm at that stage of illness where, through the heavy medication (since this morning I've reshuffled: ginseng, echinacea, goldenseal, telithromycin, clarithromycin, naproxen, ibuprofen, and methylprednisolone) and probably also because of it, I can feel my immune system really kicking in, which means I have way more energy than I should for not having slept properly in five days and am more easily amused than even my usual ease of amusement. Not to mention my uncontrollable love for run-on complex run-on sentences.

Also, I am happy to learn that there is some use for bacteria, other than fucking up my pre-holiday plans: bacterial photography. Researchers modified e. coli to produce a pigment when exposed to light, so that when they die off what's left is a projected image. The 15 hour exposure time will limit is usefulness in the short run; but then, silver emulsion photos took a while to become practical too. Plus, if you view bacteria as at least slightly demonic, this is one step closer to Terry Pratchett technology come to life, which makes me happy.

UPDATE: Nope, spoke too soon. No turkey for me.

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?