<$BlogRSDURL$>

"It is true, and thus the question of whether it is sad or happy has no meaning whatever."
Bernhard Schlink



Science is best when discussed: leave your thoughts and ideas in the comments!!



Thursday, December 01, 2005

Not All Bad 

I'm a mess this morning. Last night I hit send on my first grad school application (Berkeley), and went out with a couple of friends to celebrate. Pics will be forthcoming, once my brain reconstitutes itself and I can connect my camera to a computer.

Things are looking up, however, thanks to my B.F.F., coffee. Apparently, and despite the contrary evidence of every scientist I know, science was not aware that coffee wakes you up. A new study's preliminary results suggest that the drink may in fact help wake you up and jump-start short-term memory. I may need more jump-starting before I think this is particularly exciting, but it's still kinda cool.

Yesterday, we were warned about the bad effects of too much acetaminophen. Today, a study indicates that regular doses of the pain killer may help dementia patients be more active. In that the effect seems due to the drug's pain killing effect - many elderly patients suffer from chronic, low-grade pain, which makes them avoid activity - I suspect that, say, ibuprophen or aspirin might have the same effects (doctors can pick which drug's side effects are most acceptable, etc.).

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?